When you’re trying to delete a printer driver you get the following error: ‘Failed to remove driver ‘driver name’. The specified printer driver is currently in use.’
You’re getting this error because your Print Spooler service is using the driver.
Follow the next steps to resolve this issue. Some of the screenshots will be in dutch, but it’s the same steps.
1. go to start and type in printmanagement.msc:
2. Choose the printer driver you like to delete, but do not click ‘delete’ yet. Go to step 3.
3. go to start and search for ‘services’:
4. Search for the Print Spooler.
5. Oké now we’ve got this open don’t restart the print spooler yet. As soon as you restart the print spooler the driver will disappear, but it will come back with a refresh(f5). Be quick with deleting the driver otherwise the Print Spooler will be restarted and using the driver again.