When you’re trying to delete a printer driver you get the following error: ‘Failed to remove driver ‘driver name’. The specified printer driver is currently in use.’
You’re getting this error because your Print Spooler service is using the driver.
Follow the next steps to resolve this issue. Some of the screenshots will be in dutch, but it’s the same steps.
1. go to start and type in printmanagement.msc:
2. Choose the printer driver you like to delete, but do not click ‘delete’ yet. Go to step 3.
3. go to start and search for ‘services’:
4. Search for the Print Spooler.
5. Oké now we’ve got this open don’t restart the print spooler yet. As soon as you restart the print spooler the driver will disappear, but it will come back with a refresh(f5). Be quick with deleting the driver otherwise the Print Spooler will be restarted and using the driver again.
If this didn’t work. I might found another solution that works for you on technet:
Hi Miya, thank you for reply. Unfortunately your suggestion didn’t help 🙁
But I found my own workaround that looked like this:
1. First we removed printer in “Devices and Printers”
2. Then we stopped print spooler
3. In registry we opened HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Print Processors\
4. We renamed all Print Processors that were listed. Like Winprint to Winprint.old, Hpcpp107 to Hpcpp107.old, and so on …
5. We started print spooler
6. Removed driver pack in Print Management MMC
7. Reopened registry location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Print Processors\
8. Renamed back all Print Processors back to Winprint.old to Winprint, Hpcpp107.old to Hpcpp107, and so on …
9. Restart print spooler
10. Installed new printer drivers
11. Tested printing
Maybe this procedure will also help someone else with similar problems 🙂